At Cortona International we understand the complexities of buying or selling from abroad, but choosing an agency in Italy shouldn’t faze you anymore than if you were at home; the parameters remain the same – good communication, integrity and professionalism.
We’ve prepared a checklist to help you get started
The agency you choose should be able to tick all boxes!
DOES THE AGENCY HAVE:
- FIAIP Membership – (Italian Association of Professional Real Estate Agents)
- CIPS/NAR membership – (Certified International Property Specialist/National Association of Realtors®)
- Registration at the Chamber of Commerce
- English speaking agents
- Access to English speaking surveyors, notaries, lawyers and legal translators
CAN THE AGENCY PROVIDE:
A compliancy status report for its individual properties
- Is the property ready for immediate sale?
- If not, can it be regularised?
- If so, what are the issues and how long will regularisation take?
- Ensure its full regularisation is made a condition of sale
- Specify that in the event compliance is not attained, your down payment be made automatically refundable by the notary, with no right to legal recourse for the vendor.
Estimated costs for:
- Annual property taxes
- Refuse tax (this will be very approximate because it depends on a number of variables)
- Condominium fees (if any)
- On-going maintenance per annum
Documentation ascertaining that:
- The seller is the legitimate and only owner of the title deeds to the property
- That the deeds have not been used as collateral for any loans
- That any rights to pre-emption have been waived
A registered Italian surveyor, to check…
- Standard issues regarding town planning regulations and compliancy
- That all utilities are certified and/or attached and functional (water, sewage, electricity, gas, boiler)
- Pool and pumps functional
- If there are any disputed access roads
- If there are rights of use/rights of way on or through the property
- The property has been de-ruralised and is a civic habitation
- Condition of the roof
- Condition of doors and windows
- Damp assessment
- Compliancy of gas installation (GPL tank or mains), both inside and outside the house
An English speaking notary
- As the buyer you are entitled to choose the presiding notary who in Italy, is at your disposal for any legal advice or questions you may have, pertaining to the property and its purchase.
A full spectrum of post-sales services (preferably with English speakers)
- Transferring utilities into your name
- Informing town council of new ownership
- On-going general assistance
- Property management packages
- Holiday rentals management
- Facilitation of home improvements and/or renovations
- Facilitation of interior design solutions/makeovers
WITH ANY QUESTIONS YOU WOULD LIKE ANSWERED
Nicola: + 39 335 614 6796
Roberto: + 39 334 362 5527
Alison: +39 347 197 0512